The Seattle Archdiocese has a long 150 year tradition of Catholic education in Washington. In 1856, Sisters of Providence Mother Joseph and four other Catholic sisters came to Fort Vancouver, Washington. They opened the first Catholic school in 1858 in small log cabins. Seventeen years later, Mother Joseph helped build the Providence Academy in 1875. Unfortunately, the Providence Academy closed August 4, 1966.
More than 40 years later, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic High School opened its doors to 38 students in the fall of 2009 after 10 years of work by parents, donors, priests, archdiocese officials and many other volunteers. In the fall of 2015, the school launched a $20 million development project to acquire land and build a new campus.
In the fall of 2016, the school welcomed 173 students at our new, 12+ acre campus with a brand new, technically wired school including a beautiful STEM. center, state of the art classrooms, a 10,000 square foot gymnasium and fitness center, a commons area and wonderful chapel and performing arts center.
This year, we have 185 students. Seton Catholic has the ability to grow to serve 250 - 300 students in this first phase campus. Seton Catholic finished the development of its Phase I campus plan with completion of a comprehensive track and field venue to the north of the school building, as well as a beautiful new turf soccer and football field to the south.
More than 50 years since the doors of the Providence Academy closed, Seton Catholic is thriving with 28 faculty and staff serving the needs of students. Seton Catholic students have the opportunity to experience 14 Advance Placement (AP) courses, performing and fine arts programs with an award winning choir, more than 14 varsity sports and many other extra-curricular programs and clubs. Seton Catholic has a 100% on-time graduation rate and 100% of our graduates have either gone on to a college, university or joined a branch of the United States military for service.
Future phases of the Master Plan include additional classrooms, an auxiliary gymnasium and additional student services and administrative spaces that will allow for the campus to serve up to 500 students.